Meet Kim Mikyeong, Business Development Executive from our Singapore
Tell us a little bit more about yourself:
Hi! My name is Kim Mikyeong.
Some quick facts about me:
- I consider myself Korean but have lived most of my life outside of Korea. I spent my early childhood in Czech Republic, completed my secondary to university education in Singapore, and spent most of my holidays between China and Korea.
- Two of my favorite quotes that I live by are:
- “Priorities in life change, so don’t be greedy and focus on the happiness of the present” -My mum
- “If you can visualise it, if you can dream it, there’s a way to do it” -Walt Disney
- I did a lot of part-time jobs and internships as a student from giving tuition, interpreting, being a tour guide and more. Now that I have settled into a full-time job, I am glad that I was able to gain those different experiences and perspectives.
- I used to work in a social media company, where I would translate travel articles. Once the COVID situation is over, I look forward to travelling to those cities I wrote about, including Taiwan and Cape Town.
What does an average day at GPS look like for you?
I start the day by checking emails from my phone while still in bed. Then I get up, make some coffee and brunch and get back to my computer.
There may be an internal standup meeting, where we discuss our updates and targets for the week. Afterwards, I will send out emails and catch up on the latest news.
There are often calls scheduled with prospects in the afternoon. I will take a short break after these meetings, go out for a walk and have my dinner. Afterwards, there are internal team calls and I would send out more emails in the evening. Since we are working across different time zones, sometimes there are meetings at night but the work hours are flexible.
What do you like most about your job?
The company culture and colleagues. The culture at GPS is great, everyone is very supportive of each other and the leadership team really focuses on development and the wellbeing of their employees.
Since we have offices in Singapore, Australia, the UK and India, some of us don’t have the chance to physically meet or hang out in the office. But we still communicate closely and joke around on Teams (the official company chat).
How do you spend your free time?
I recently started a vegetarian diet. I want to be able to choose what I eat, so I started looking up recipes and cooking my own meals. It’s time consuming but there’s that satisfaction about turning raw ingredients into something delicious.
What is the last book you read or movie you watched?
I know it’s a bit late, but I binge watched Game of Thrones recently.
If you could take three things with you to a deserted island, you would bring…
Water, a knife, and a sleeping bag
Best advice you’ve received
The best advice I received was from my mum. It’s pretty obvious, but I think I need to remind myself from time to time with the following:
“You can’t change what has happened, so don’t waste time regretting. Worrying about the future doesn’t take worries away. The only thing you can do is to focus on what you can do now.”